Delta rolls out solution for pet travel
After five years of research, development and testing, on top of a successful two-month trial, CarePod will be exclusively offered at eight U.S. locations: Atlanta, Boston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York (JFK and LaGuardia), San Francisco and West Palm Beach. There will then be a phased approach to roll out the CarePod pet travel carrier across Delta’s U.S. network.
“Continuous innovation is in Delta’s DNA and the launch of the CarePod pet travel carrier, an industry first, is an example of us seeking out innovative partnerships and looking at ways to improve the customer experience throughout all parts of their journey,” said Shawn Cole, Vice President — Delta Cargo, in today’s announcement. “As the only airline to offer this premium pet travel solution, it represents a significant improvement for the millions of people who want to travel with their four-legged family members.”
The CarePod pet travel carrier has several safety features:
- Industrial strength walls that are insulated to protect a pet against potential temperature fluctuations when moving between different climates and travel conditions.
- Multi-layered windows and doors with specially angled blinds to help create a calming environment for pets by blocking out visual stress from unfamiliar environments.
- A built-in hydration system for pet travel carriers, holding up to a liter of water that will automatically replenish the spill-proof water bowl.
- An enterprise level GPS tracking and monitoring system that connects the pet’s journey directly to the specialized Delta Cargo Control Center. The Center is managed 24/7/365 by trained experts who supervise and digitally monitor every CarePod pet journey from beginning to end.
- Seamless connectivity that enables pet owners to view their pet’s key travel updates on their mobile phone throughout their journey.
- CarePod are equipped with UV and antibacterial protection for longer lasting strength and protection.
The CarePod pet travel carrier is a next generation, IATA compliant pet travel carrier, which can accommodate dogs and cats permitted in a 300 series crate, or smaller, and can be booked between three and thirteen days before departure.
“We’re thrilled that pet owners can now vacation and fly their pets with Delta’s best-in-class CarePod solution, having the peace of mind that their pets are protected in smart pet travel carriers, that are also digitally supervised by the Delta Cargo Control Center throughout the entire journey,” says Jenny Pan, founder and CEO of CarePod. “With the Delta partnership, we aim to raise the benchmark for pet air travel to allow families and pets to stay connected and travel safely together.”
Delta’s team of specialists and staff veterinarian constantly review processes and policies to identify areas of improvement to ensure the safety and health of pets. The airline has specially trained ground handlers who take care of pets at every step of their journey. Delta also has temperature-controlled holding areas and vehicles in numerous locations and overnight kenneling services. The Cargo Control Center in Atlanta also gives the airline 24/7/365 visibility into all shipments, including pets.
Delta Cargo started working with CarePod in 2018 and the relationship is the latest example of seeking out partnerships to streamline and improve the passenger experience.