Homegrown flavors fly on Cathay Pacific
On January 28, Cathay Pacific announced its latest onboard menu, "Hong Kong Flavours," filled with tastes and ingredients from the carrier's home turf.
From February until April 2019, all cabin classes on the carrier's long-haul routes from Hong Kong will feature the refreshed menu, with authentic Cantonese meals such as wok-fried lobster in broth and stir-fried pork and shallots among the new options. The concept was launched to "celebrate the diversity and vibrancy of [Hong Kong's] rich gastronomic traditions," according to a release from the airline.
Vivian Lo, Cathay Pacific's General Manager Customer Experience and Design, commented on the locally inspired launch in a statement: “It’s not an exaggeration to say that people from Hong Kong are crazy about food, and as Hong Kong’s home airline, it is important that our inflight dining reflects our heritage. Our new dishes are inspired by those you find in local Hong Kong restaurants. These neighborhood eateries define Hong Kong’s everyday culinary scene and provide simple yet hearty and delicious dishes for those, like our customers, who are always on the move.”
The airline is also upgrading its inflight beverage offerings with a partnership with local tea purveyor Fook Ming Tong. A range of premium Chinese teas, such as jasmine, oolong and pu’er, will be gradually rolled out in the Economy Class cabin.
In addition, a festive offering to celebrate the Year of the Pig will be served through the Chinese New Year period, to the end of February. Braised garoupa with bean curd and shiitake mushrooms and E-fu noodle soup with crab meat sauce are among the celebratory selections.
The "Hong Kong Flavours" menu includes:
- Braised abalone with flower shiitake and choy sum-layered bean curd
- Braised garoupa with bean curd and shiitake mushrooms in ginger and scallion sauce
- E-fu noodle soup with crab meat sauce
- Roasted duck with lai fun rice noodles in soup
- Coconut and red bean pudding
- Hong Kong-style milk tea pudding with tapioca pearls
- Osmanthus jelly with wolfberries (goji)
Premium Economy Class
- Baked seafood rice with tomato sauce
- Steamed halibut with Tai O preserved mustard greens and steamed jasmine rice
- Soy-braised chicken with Chinese sausage on steamed jasmine rice
- Hong Kong-style seafood curry rice