November 15 2023  |  Airline & Terminal News

Munich Airport announces climate target of Net Zero by 2035

By PAX International Magazine Staff

Providing an undisturbed habitat for many plants and animals, the MUC climate forest plays a key role in biodiversity.

Munich Airport (MUC) has moved up its Net Zero climate target to 20235 instead of 2050, previously. The goal means reducing emissions that the airport itself has control over (Scope 1 and 2 emissions) by at least 90 percent. The remaining 10 percent of emissions must be actively and permanently removed from the atmosphere, the press release said.

"With the goal of Net Zero by 2035, the five-star airport is once again demonstrating its ambitions in terms of its climate strategy. Climate protection and sustainability are taken very seriously at Munich Airport and implemented in the best possible way," said Minister of State, Albert Füracker, who is also the Chairman of the Supervisory Board.

Jost Lammers, CEO of Munich Airport, also commented on the new target: “Achieving the corporate goal of Net Zero by 2035 is challenging and requires a great effort in many different areas. However, we are taking on this task because, as a green mobility hub, we want to do our part for decarbonized aviation.”

Achieving Net Zero requires putting measures in place across four main areas:

  • Energy supply: The airport is focusing on the use of renewable natural gas (biomethane) for its in-house cogeneration plant, the wide-scale expansion of photovoltaics, the purchase of electricity from renewable sources and the establishment of an additional power grid to ensure it has access to the green electricity it needs in the future.
  • Airport-specific facilities and technical infrastructure: Apron lighting has already been switched to LED technology, with runway lighting set to be replaced next. Additional measures in this area include installing more efficient motors in baggage transportation systems and passenger boarding bridges.
  • Buildings: Munich Airport is focusing on sustainable, climate-friendly properties with low energy consumption when constructing new buildings. The energy performance of existing buildings is being optimized.
  • Vehicle fleet: The airport plans to convert its vehicle fleet to electric drives. Where this is not possible, it will look at using alternative fuels. The airport currently has over 500 electric vehicles in its vehicle fleet.

Munich Airport said that the CO2 emissions of the base year 2016 that can be influenced by the airport will be reduced by over 90,000 tons.

To permanently remove the remaining 10 percent of CO2 emissions, the Airport began turning a commercial forest into a resilient “climate forest” in 2021. In doing so, carbon dioxide is removed from the atmosphere and subsequently captured for the long term when the timber is utilized.

Companies based in Munich Airport will partake in projects to lower their emissions, which fall into Scope 3.

Copyright 2023 PAX International. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy Sitemap