Emirates offering special vegan meals in January
Emirates is celebrating Veganuary on board by including an additional plant-based option on its menus for the month of January.
While vegan meals can be pre-booked on all flights and classes, Emirates says this is the first time it is including a readily available vegan option on its menus. The plant-based meal is available as a fourth main course option in First and Business Class menus on flights from Dubai to the United States, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Addis Ababa. Emirates is also offering a vegan option in Economy on flights to Addis Ababa this month.
Last year, Emirates served 345,000 special plant-based meals to passengers. The airline has more than 170 vegan recipes in its kitchen and will be serving new dishes this month such as:
- Tofu Jalfrezi – a spiced tofu and vegetable stir fry served with steamed wild rice and tandoori broccolini
- Shitake Ravioli served with coriander pesto and edamame
- Ancho three bean chilli – a spiced vegan stew of peppers and beans served with corn cakes, chimichurri and tofu aioli
- Shitake fried rice served with sautéed asparagus and oyster mushrooms and Marmite sauce
- Misir Wat – an Ethiopian style spicy red lentil stew, served with sauteed spinach and spiced potatoes and carrots
On all other routes and across all classes, passengers can continue to request vegan meals, along with other special meals, 24 hours before departure.
Emirates’ vegan meals are created by its team of chefs and nutritionists and come complete with vegan desserts. A special vegan cheese was also introduced in Economy Class and the airline has a vegan option as part of its gourmet chocolate program in premium classes.